I condemn in the strongest terms use of excessive force by many police department in the United States. Therefore my comments should in no way be taken that I condoning the actions of the Police Department or the grand jurys in the deaths of some many Black lives. There is a book recently written by a young man in my community but I think every young black man and apply to their lives if they want to thrive in America.
my father used to tell us when you know who you’re dealing with act accordingly.
Here are some sample questions. I included [my thoughts] in brackets to show where I am going with the question:
– What is your advice to limit the chances of getting pulled over?
[Head/brake lights in working order, etc, NEVER speeding, ALWAYS stop at signal lights/stop signs]
– What are the must haves of driving?
[Tags, registration, driver’s license, insurance, should NEVER be allowed to expire, etc. If you don’t have it DO NOT DRIVE]
– If pulled over how should one behave if one is pulled over?
[pull over immediately, roll down all four windows to show what is in the car, hands on stirring wheel, be polite]
– What is your advice for AFTER getting a ticket?
[SHOW UP FOR COURT!!! PAY THE TICKET!!! This is how many enter the system]
– What is your advice to limit (note: not stop, but LIMIT) any proking on the street?
[i.e., dress and appearance, keeping ID]
– Any advice you have for dealing with law enforcement in one’s home (i.e., you call them/potential domestic dispute)?
[keep ID on you, remain calm]
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله – peace be upon you
Imam Johari Abdul-Malik Ibn WR Seale